Siem Reap’s Tourist Attractions
01 Aug 2017 by KATE LE
Siem Reap 1200 years ago was the capital of Khmer citizen and in the present, the ruined ancient city of Angkor has become one of the world’s greatest wonders for its incredible temple complex of Angkor Wat and the remains of Khmer Empire’s former capital.
ANGKOR ARCHEOLOGICAL PARK TEMPLES
Angkor Archeological Park Temples is the greatest religious site all over the world. The name Angkor Wat means “City of Temples” and its name says it all about the complex. Angkor Wat is famous for having over 3000 apsaras – celestial nymphs – carved into its wall in which they are carved differently and uniquely. The Angkor Archeological Park Temple also imitates the spatial universe in miniature with central towel Mt Meru bounding by continents – the lower courtyards and the ocean – the moat. The seven-headed naga becomes a symbolic bridge for human to reach the abode of the gods. It is not possible to visit the highest level of Angkor Wat without upper arms covered and shorts to the knees. The peak season to visit Angkor Wat is from November to February.
• Location: Angkor Archaeological Park
• Opening Hours: Daily, 5 a.m – 6 p.m. Some temples close earlier (Kbal Spean closes at 3pm).
• Price range: $37 for one-day visit, $62 for three-day visit, $72 for five-day visit
PHNOM KULEN - KULEN MOUNTAIN
Kulen Moutain is located inside Phnom Kulen National Park as well as is the most beautiful place in the countryside. What special about Phnom Kulen is there is a combination of 3 sights to visit, the first is Preah Ang Thom – a place where a reclining Buddha statue is carved into a huge sandstone boulder, the second one is Thousand Linga – carved in the riverbed and an impressive waterfall. The waterfall is an attractive spot and it was featured in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. It is possible to swim under the waterfall so for those who interest remember to bring or wear your swimsuit in advance.
Reclining Buddha statue in Phnom Kulen Park
Waterfall in Phnom Kulen Park.
Linga in Phnom Kulen Park.
• Location: 48 kilometers north from Siem Reap
• Opening Hours: Visitors should reach the site before 11 a.m to avoid bad traffic.
• Price range: Entrance fee is $20
Banteay Srey in Khmer means “Citadel of women”, thus, the name is illustrated by the pink sandstone and delicate carvings inside the temple. The temple was built to honor Shiva – Hindu god – by King Rajendravarman in the late 10th century. The walls are covered with intricate carvings in extreme details. The carving of sculptures, lintels and friezes makes up an aesthetic art which pleases tourists’ eyes. For the best color of the temple on photographs, we recommend before 10 a.m and after 2 p.m.
Banteay Srey - "Citadel of women" in Siem Reap.
• Location: 32 kilometers northeast from Siem Reap
• Opening Hours: 7:30 a.m – 5:30 p.m
• Price range: Admission fee is included in Angkor’s admission
Similar to Ta Phrom Temple in Tonle Bati left in the way it had been discovered, Beng Mealea is a jungle temple which mostly overgrown by vegetation. To walk around the temple, tourist can either choose the path which you have to climb over ruined walls and through windows or a standard wooden walkway. There might be a chance of flooding in the area during rainy season in the northeast (from December to April)
Beng Mealea, ruined temple in Siem Reap.
• Location: 68 kilometers northeast from Siem Reap – an hour car drive or tuk tuk
• Opening Hours: 7 a.m – 5:30 p.m
• Price range: Entrance fee is US $5.00
Pub Street in Siem Reap is an ideal place for bar-hopping. There are numerous of lively bars, cocktail lounges, international restaurant and night clubs which stay open until 4 a.m. During happy hour the bars offer unique cocktails and beer cost only for $1. You may be able to find these in Pub Street: fish massage, fried scorpions, fried ice cream, and street performances.
Pub street at night in Siem Reap.
• Location: Street 08, Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia
• Opening Hours: Mostly 4 p.m until midnight.
• Price range: Meals often range from $4 to $8. Draft beer $0.5 to $1
NIGHT ANGKOR MARKET
There are over 200 shops for tourist to choose from at the Night Market. One of the market’s highlights is the traditional Khmer massage to help soothes the fatigue muscles using the combination of herbs and wine. There is a place for eco-friendly tourists to buy items such as bags, wallets, purses which are made from recycled materials. It is a good place to buy stuff if you are a good at bargaining.
Stalls at Night Angkor Market in Siem Reap.
• Location: Angkor Night Market St, Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia
• Opening Hours: 5 p.m – 12 p.m
• Price range: Free entrance
Discover the beauty of City of Temples with us on Siem Reap City Tour right away.