7 Things South African Tourists Should Remember Before Going to Vietnam
07 Jun 2017
Before packing for your trip to Vietnam, it is important to remind yourself of what you need to bring along. Following these tips will help ensure your trip is memorable for all the right reasons.
1. RAND CANNOT BE USED IN VIETNAM
The currency in Vietnam is the Vietnam Dong and it is used to trade at literally everywhere in Vietnam. In large cities’ supermarket or shopping mall, we also accept U.S dollar or Euro. It can be hard and almost impossible to exchange from Rand to Vietnam Dong at Vietnamese banks. Therefore, tourists are advised to prepare a sum of Vietnamese currency before going on a trip.
2. PASSPORT AND VISA
Don't forget to apply for Vietnam visa letter
Tourists need to present a valid passport (valid for at least 6 months) and a visa when entering Vietnam. South African citizens can apply for a Vietnam Visa Approval letter and obtain the Vietnam Visa on arrival, which is much more convenient for travelers. The procedure is simple:
You need to fill in the form of visa approval letter.
- Pay for service fee
- Receive approval letter together with Vietnamese visa application form via email (you should print them out)
- Show the approval letter, the completed application form and identification documents on arrival at Vietnam airport, and pay the $25 application fee.
- Bring 2 passport photos.
- For more details about the procedure and the fee, please check out Vietnam visa website
3. VIETNAM IS A PEACEFUL COUNTRY
Vietnamese people are friendly
Vietnamese people are friendly and we welcome visitors to our land. Vietnam is one of the most peaceful countries in the world.
4. BRING YOUR SWIM SUIT
Your Swim suit is one of the most important items to pack!
Don’t forget to pack your bathing costume. With 3,200km of coastal line, Vietnam has beautiful beaches and the water is warm!
» See our Top 5 Most Beautiful Beaches in Vietnam
5. SHOPPING IN VIETNAM IS CHEAP, PACK LIGHTLY!
Pack lightly so you have room for all your shopping.
There are millions of convenience stores all over the country. They sell everything from personal necessities: soap, shampoo,…to every kind of food, snacks and drinks. So, only pack what is important for you only, you can buy almost every other things in Vietnam.
6. DON'T FORGET SUNCREAM
Suncream protects your skin when visiting Vietnam
Vietnam is a tropical country, hence, sunshine is everywhere and most days are sunny day. Sunburn can be a real nuisance and it possibly will affect your trip. That is why you should bring along a tube of suncream to protect your skin for a more satisfying journey.
7. BOOK A STREET FOOD TOUR WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE
Vietnam street food
Vietnam cuisine is globally famous for street food. They are not only cheap but also amazingly delicious. Moreover, we offer distinctive food across the country, every region has its own typical street food and it would be a huge pity if you cannot have a chance to try them all.
» Enjoy Vietnam Beaches Holiday for the food, the beaches and the best adventures!
- Vietnam Travel Scams that South African Travellers Should Avoid
- Tasting Experience for South African Travelers in Vietnam
- How Much Should You Spend When Travelling in Vietnam?
- Best Places to Visit in Vietnam in 7 Days
- Best Time to Visit Vietnam
- 5 Experiences That Solo Travelers Should Not Miss in Vietnam
- Pros and Cons of Join-in Tours
- Top 9 Things to Do in Vietnam